Da: large Zhui: vertebrae
Dazhui is below the 7th cervical vertebra, which is the largest of the cervical vertebrae.
English name/ meaning: Great Hammer
Chinese name: 大椎
Chinese pinyin: Dazhui
Korean name: Taech’u
Japanese name: Daitsui
Vietnamese name: Dai chuy
On the posterior midline, in the depression below the spinous process of the 7th cervical vertebra.
- Relieves external conditions (expels pathogens, helps skin to resist the pathogens).
- Frees up the Yang (stimulates areas of the body that are deficient in Qi and Yang ).
- Clears brains and calms spirit (epilepsy, seizures, psychosis).
- Dazhui relieves exterior syndromes so is good for febrile disease, tidal fever, night sweats malaria.
- Also helps to expand the chest, stop coughing and wheezing: Cough and asthma
- Regulating the count of the white blood cells: radiotherapy or chemotherapy may cause the decrease of white blood cells of the patients with a tumour, which may be increased by acupuncture; for tropical eosinophilia, acupuncture may decrease acidocyte.
- Also expels internal wind : tremors, convulsions.
- Good for Psychosis, epilepsy, infantile convulsion, Rubella, acne.
- Local problems: back and nape stiffness and pain
Puncture obliquely upwards 0.5-1cun.
Prick to induce bleeding with a three-edged needle.
Crossing Point of the six Yang channels and Governor Vessel .
Point of the sea of Qi.
Best point to treat sweat.
Important point for malaria.
Avoid deep insertion. The spinal canal lies between 1.25 and 1.75 cun deep to the skin surface, varying according to body build.