Feng: pathogenic wind fu: place
Fengfu is a point for eliminating the pathogenic wind.
English name/ meaning: Wind Mansion
Chinese name: 风府
Chinese pinyin: Fengfu
Korean name: P’ungbu
Japanese name: Fufu
Vietnamese name: Phong phu
On the midline of the nape of the neck, 1 cun directly above the midpoint of the posterior hairline.
Functions of Fengfu:
- Dispels wind pathogen and dissipates cold (External wind/heat, neck rigidity, neck pain).
- Calms mind (benefits brain, mental disease).
- Open joints and drain fire (wind stroke from Yang fire).
- Fengfu is the main point for Stroke, psychosis, epilepsy.
- Also good for eye disorders, speech disorders: Swollen and painful throat, sudden aphonia.
- Fever, cold, often used with Fengchi point.
- Local disorders: Headache, stiff neck, vertigo,
- Slowly puncture perpendicularly or obliquely downward 0.5-1 cun in the direction of the submaxilla. Ask the patient to sit upright and relax the nape of the neck with a slight tilt of the head.
- Do not puncture deeply perpendicularly or obliquely upward to prevent from pricking the medulla.
- Crossing point of Yangwei vessel and governor meridian.
- Point of the sea of marrow.
- Window of heaven points.
- Ghost point.
The spinal canal lies between 1.5 and 2 cun deep to the skin surface, varying according to body build. Deep perpendicular insertion is therefore strictly contraindicated, as is superior oblique insertion towards the brain.
Moxibustion can’t be used at this point.