Fu: side Tu: prominence
Tu refers to the laryngeal prominence. Futu is beside the Adam’s Apple.
Point Name: LI-18
Chinese Name: 扶突
English Name/ Meaning: Support the Prominence
Pinyin: fú tū
Han Geul 한글: bu dol 부돌
Romaji: fu totsu(?)
Vietnamese: Phù đột
On the lateral side of the neck, level with the tip of the laryngeal prominence, between the sternal and clavicular heads of the sternocleidomastoid muscle.
Functions and indications of futu:
- Benefits/disinhibits the throat so is beneficial for various disorders in throat region like throat pain, tonsilitis, scrofula and goiter; thyroid problems, Hiccups.
- Eliminates phlegm lodged in channel : scrofula and goiter.
- Acupuncture anesthesia – surgery for thyroid or chest.
- Perpendicular insertion 0.3 to 0.5 cun.
- Oblique insertion 0.5 to 0.8 cun.
- Window of Heaven point.
- Often used when swallowing is difficult, for example after a stroke.
Deeper needling may puncture the carotid artery or jugular vein.