Gao: fat Huang: membrane Shu: point
Gaohuang refers to the fat and membrane below the heart and above the diaphragm. Since this part is close to the pericardium, it is considered as the component of the pericardium. The point is at the level of Jueyinshu (BL14).
Chinese Name: 膏肓俞
English Name/Meaning: Vital Region Shu
Pinyin: gāo huāng shū
Han Geul 한글: go hwang [yu] 고황[유]
Romaji: kō kō yu
Vietnamese:Cao hoang du
3 cun lateral to the lower border of the spinous process of the 4th thoracic vertebra.
- Supplements the Lungs and fortifies the spleen.
- Strengthens deficiency conditions.
- Strengthens the Heart and Kidney(Kidney Yin, Kidney Essence).
Indications of Gaohuangshu:
- Gaohuang is one of the main point for pulmonary phthisis, chronic bronchitis of the aged, bronchial asthma, cough.
- To treat weakness or consumptive disease, forgetfulness, seminal emission, night sweats, often used with Zusanli point.
- Pain of the shoulder and back.
- Tonifying every kind of Xu (Qi, Blood, Yin, Yang deficiency)
- Preventing asthma attacks, Chronic asthma & Tonifying the Immune System.
- Resolves Phlegm.
Puncture obliquely 0.5-0.8 cun
Deep perpendicular or needling in a wrong direction carries a substantial risk of causing a pneumothorax.