Huan: A ring Tiao: Jumo
Huantiao is on the hipjoint, which is the pivot for jumping.
Chinese Name: 环跳
English Name/Meaning: Jumping Circle
Pinyin: huán tiào
Han Geul 한글: hwan do 환도
Romaji: kan chō
Vietnamese: Hoàn khiêu
With the patient lying on the side with the upper hip and knee bent, the point is at the junction of lateral 1/3 and medial 2/3 of the line linking the prominence of greater trochanter and the sacro-coccygeal hiatus.
Functions of huantiao:
- Remove obstruction from channel (wind, damp, cold from channel).
- Strengthen lower back and legs (especially around hip).
- Supplement Qi and Blood (brings qi and blood to area).
- Huantiao is major point for Sciatica.
- Huantiao is main point to treat diseases of the lower extremities: atrophy or paralysis in the lower limbs, and hemiplegia.
Puncture perpendicularly 2-3 cun, directed towards the genitals.
- Meeting point of Gallbladder and Bladder.
- Major point for sciatica.
Avoid deep needling to avoid sciatic nerve damage.
Note: a radiating or electric sensation may travel to the foot. Since this manifestation of deqi (arrival of qi) is particularly indicated in cases of sciatica it may be more readily induced by locating GB-30 one cun inferior to its normal position.