Ming : life Men : door
The kidney is the vital source, Mingmen is between shensu , like a door for the Qi of the kidney.
English name/meaning :
Chinese name: 命门
Chinese pinyin : Mingmen
Korean name: Myongmun
Japanese name: Meimon
Vietnamese name: Menhmon
On the posterior midline, in the depression below the spinous process of the 2nd lumbar vertebra
- Nourishes yuan qi and strengthens kidney (chronic kidney disease, chronic weakness, Kidney yang deficiency).
- Strengthens lower back (stifness and pain inlower back and knees due to kidney yang deficiency).
- Benefits essence (sexual imbalances, premature ejaculation, impotence; builds up marrow).
- Mingmen is the main point to treat diseases of the genital system: impotence, nocturnal emission, morbid leucorrhea, irregular menstruation, usually good for deficiency syndrome.
- Good point for fatigue.
- Chronic diarrhea.
- Main point for Ache of the back and spinal column.
Puncture perpendicularly or obliquely a bit upwards 0.5 – 1 cun.
Main point for strengthening Kidney Yang.
Deep insertion should be avoided. The spinal canal lies between 1.25 and 1.75 cun deep to the skin surface, varying according to body build.
According to a number of classical texts, this point is contraindicated to moxibustion in those who are under 20 years of age.