Shen : body Zhu: pillar
Shenzhu is below the third thoracic vertebrae and connects upwards with the head and neck when downwards with the back and the lumbar vertebrae, like a pillar of the body.
English name/meaning : Body Pillar
Chinese name: Shenzhu
Chinese pinyin : 身柱
Korean name: Shinju
Japanese name: Shinchu
Vietnamese name: Than tru
On the posterior midline, in the depression below the spinous process of the 3rd thoracic vertebra.
- Dispels pathogenic and lowers fever.
- Tonifies Lung (strengthen Qi of Lung).
- Calms mind and spirit.
- Shenzhu benefits fever, cough, asthma, back carbuncles.
- Also good forHeadache, the stiffness of the spine, pain in the back.
- Epilepsy, psychological disorders.
Puncture obliquely upward 0.5-1 cun.
Avoid deep insertion. The spinal canal lies between 1.25 and 1.75 cun deep to the skin surface, varying according to body build.