Shui: water Fen: separation
Shuifen is 1 cun above the navel and corresponds internally to the small intestine , where the water and food are separated into the turbid and the clear.
Chinese Name: 水分
Pinyin: shuǐ fēn
English Name/Meaning: Water Division
Han Geul 한글: su bun 수분
Romaji: sui bun(?)
Shuifen lies on the anterior midline , 1 cun above the umbilicus.
Functions of Shuifen:
- Promotes the Transformation of Fluids.
- Shuifen helps to promote the transformation, transporting and excretion of all body fluids. It is a good point to help regulate when any fluid (Damp or Phlegm or any secretions) is excessive or deficient.The position of this point over the region of the lower opening of the Small Intestine, connects with the function of Small Intestine to separate pure from impure and fluids from solid matter.
- Regulates water passage and transforms damp.Mostly the water retention caused from Spleen and Kidney deficiencies.
- Regulate Small Intestine, Stomach and Spleen.
- Resolves Damp and Phlegm by tonifying the Kidneys and Spleen..
- Good point for edema, stagnation, swelling, ascites.
- Benefits urinary disorders like retention of urine.
- Insert perpendicularly 0.8 to 1.5 cun.
- Caution: In thin patients deep needling may penetrate the peritoneal cavity.
- Ancient books: this point is contraindicated to needling in cases of ‘water illness’.
- Use with ST 44 and GB 41 for weight loss.
In thin patients deep needling may penetrate the peritoneal cavity.