Tian: heaven Tu: chimney
The location of tiantu corresponds to the upper part of the trachea, which is like the chimney for the Qi of the lung.
English name/meaning : Celestial Chimney
Chinese name: 天突
Chinese pinyin : Tianfu
Korean name: Ch’ondol
Japanese name: Tentotsu
Vietnamese name: Thien dot
Tiantu is located in the centre of the suprasternal fossa.
- Diffuse lung and transforms phlegm (spreads lung qi).
- Benefits the throat and restore voice (throat pain, sore throat, goiter).
Indications of tiantu:
- Main point for removing phlegm, cough, asthma, chest pain.
- Also beneficial for sore throat, harsh voice, sudden aphonia, goiter (thyrophyma), cardiac spasm, Plum-stone Syndrome (a hysterical condition that the patient feels a foreign body, like the stone of a plum obstructing the throat, hard to swallow or spit it out, There is neither redness, nor swelling of the throat, nor interference with eating).
Puncture perpendicularly 0.2-0.3 cun, then turn the angle of the needle downward and direct the needle internally along the posterior border of the manubrium of the sternum 0.5-1.0 cun. Correct angle and depth of the needling method is essential to avoid damaging the lung and blood vessel.
- Meeting point of conception vessel and YinWei channels.
- Point of the window of heaven.
- Good point for disease of vocal cord.