Tian: heaven Zhu:pillar
Heaven here means “upper”. The cervical spine was called “zhugu” (pillar bone) in ancient times and the point, tianzhu is lateral to it.
Chinese Name: 天柱
English Name/Meaning: Celestial Pillar
Pinyin: tiān zhù
Han Geul 한글: cheon ju 천주
Romaji: ten chū
On the nape of the neck, in the depression of lateral border of m.trapezium 0.5 cun directly above the midpoint of posterior hairline, 1.3cun lateral to the anterior-posterior midline.
Functions of tianzhu:
- Dispels wind and dissipates cold.
- Soothes the sinew and opens the connecting vessels.
- Clears the head and brightens the eyes.
- Relieves pain.
- Headache, dizziness;
- Blurred vision, nasal congestion;
- Stiff neck, pain in the upper back and shoulder.
Puncture perpendicularly or obliquely 0.5-0.8 cun.
Avoid deep puncture to prevent medullar damage.