Zhe: ear of a cart Jin: muscle
The “ear” of a cart is the plate protecting its wheel. The muscle on both sides of the flanks are as prominent as the ears of a cart, where Zhejin lies.
Chinese Name: 辄筋
English Name/Meaning: Flank Sinews
Pinyin: zhé jīn
Han Geul 한글: cheop geun 첩근
Romaji: chō kin?
Vietnamese: Triếp cân
1 cun anterior to Yuanye (GB22), at the level with the nipple, in the 4th intercostal space.
Functions of zhejin:
- Transforms stagnant liver qi.
- Stops coughing and moves qi down.
- Digestive problems: nausea, vomiting, abdominal distension, acid regurgitation.
- Hiccup, cough, dyspnoea, asthma.
- Hypochondriac pain, fullness or pain on the cheat area, intercostal neuralgia.
Transverse-oblique insertion along the intercostal space, 0.5 to 1 cun.
Deep or perpendicular needling may induce a pneumothorax.